Sunday, June 21, 2009

What a Difference a Day Makes




After our fish fry dinner at Bents Camp we headed back onto the water, this time to our favorite Bass lake deep in the woods....Tower Lake. I could tell you exactly how to get there, but I then I would have to kill you as this is classified information. The night seemed perfect for fishing and we got there at just the right time, but thunder storms started brewing so canoeing too far from the launch made me a bit nervous. It seems the fish became nervous as well because on a night we would normaly have them jumping into the boat, we were only able to land 3 bass making it 19 for the day. The elaborate cloud formations, the thunder, and the cracklit lightening in the distance were enough to make me want to paddle back and pack it in for the night. We never actually got rained on but we knew (as did the fish) that "sumpin was up".

We made it back to the cabin for a late night campfire and as Billy would say, "some chillin". We couldn't decide what movie to watch before going to bed so Billy closed his eyes and grabbed one off the shelf. Ironically, it was Twister! As we were watching the cows and semi trucks fly through the air (and hearing a fierce rainstorm outside the cabin) we noticed water dripping off the wood stove pipe and trickling down the wall where the wood stove enters the chimmney. The water inside the cabin walls was a first for me. I attributed it to the unusual terrential rain that was now falling sideways outside.....and went to bed. There is something about sleeping to the sound of rip-roaring rain!

We woke up Saturday morning to sunshine, blue skys....and warm weather. I decided it was time to fix whatever was wrong with the lawnmower and put Billy to work. Side Note: If you've ever thought about owning a summer home, please keep in mind that they are only meant for people who don't think they have enough work to do around their main residence.
It turns out the mower wan't working because some of the local mice decided to do some new construction inside the air filer chamber. I will say they were well protected from winter weather as there wasn't one R-value of warm air loss going through that air filter when they were done building!

After cleaning the air filter and demoloshing the mice family home, the mower worked like a charm and Billy cut the grass for me while I checked out the water levels in our fishing boat and canoe. It wasn't long before we were fishing once again, this time on Forest Lake (not a bite), then on an un-named Lake (still no bites), then George Lake (still skunked), then Wood Lake (now wondering what the Hell as happended to our fishing). After 19 fish yesterday, I was reminded while fishing, that the Lord giveth and the Lord taketh away. It appears that the thunder storms of the previous evening had completely spooked the fish into lethargism (if that is even a word). Let's just say they were not biting. On Saturday June 20th, 2009 we did not land a single fish.....and between the two of us, there had to be some 300 casts that day.

We did get a little sun burned though, and we did take some time out for a great dinner at the Red Man Inn. I never saw anyone clean 20 barbecue rib bones as well as Billy did on Saturday night. Despite no fish, we had a good time trying and we found a few new fishing spots in the process (good weeds/structure). I mentioned no name Lake above, not because I am trying to keep a secret, but simply because according to our maps, it simply has no name! After giving up at Wood Lake, we once again ended up at the campfire pit, where Billy had a new fire all ready to go. We both grabbed a drink, sat by the fire, listened to the loons, and wondered how bright the stars would look tonight. I told Billy I was surprised that he didn't ask me if he could bring one of his friends up north this trip....to see what it is like up here. I told him I was ready for that question and would have gladly let him do so if he asked, but he never even asked. He said he didn't ask because he thought I wanted it to be a "me and him" sort of thing. Somehow, not catching one fish today seemed just fine with me.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home