Saturday, June 10, 2006

Mind Your Head...........

The use of the english language here never ceases to amaze me. When listening to one speak, you find yourself familiar with all of the words that are being used, but it is the context or the accent or the combination in which they are used, that makes the language quite off. If you look at this picture, you understand all three words, but look how they are put together! Here you will see signs like this all over.....mind the gap, mind your head, way out, etc. The other day one of my colleagues had to leave us and start moving quickly to the rail (the train). He said very seriously, "sorry lads, I got to get on....straight ahead to the rail". He meant he had to start moving quickly and start running toward the train, so he didn't miss it. I understood all the words, it just sounds funny in the way they are put together.



I have learned quite a bit while here....you really have no choice but to learn if you are going to get by. I feel I could get anywhere I wanted to go on the subway....the signage, etc. makes it very easy for one to follow. Just for fun, I thought I would show you a typical view on an underground rail car while bouncing around the city.

Anyway, today I took a river boat ride down the themes river and got off at the tower of london. I didn't visit inside the tower because there were a billion people trying to get in today. I moved on to Oxford Street and did a little shopping. It was very hot today though, so I made my way back home.....and now I am starting to think of all the things I am going to be doing to get home in the next 24 hours such as transportation to Heathro, customs, times, etc. This may be one of my last posts from London England.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home