Tuesday, May 13, 2008

Kailua Kona...The Big Island






















Deep sea fishing in Kona, Hawaii was something I could only see on Saturday morning fishing shows until now. This morning I was on the first tender off the ship and heading for the fishing harbor where there are more charter fishing boats than I have ever seen. Maui Jim sponsors an annual Blue Marlin classic here in June where the biggest Marlin caught in the 4 day tournament will net the winner 500k. The King Kamahamaha Hotel sports two Blue Marlins (mounted of course) over 1,000 lbs.

Today I went fishing with Captain Billy and his first mate Tim. There were 4 other people fishing with me and we all got along great and had a good time. For 4 hours we rotated out of the fighting chair every 15 minutes. If you were sitting there when any of the 5 poles got a bite, you reeled in whatever was on the hook.

The picture here is a 28lb. Mahi Mahi (also known as a Dorado in Mexico and Dolphin Fish in Florida). Here in Havi He, they call it Dolphin Fish. I wish I could tell you I reeled this in but I didn't. The fish was caught by another guy on board named Paul. It was a bit early in the year for the Blue Marlin but we had great fun anyway.

One day I will catch my Blue Marlin, I don't know where or when, but catching a Big Blue is on my bucket list.....

1 Comments:

At 6:15 PM, Blogger ~alyssa~ said...

That is a big fish! I have never seen one like that in my hole life!!!!!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home