Sunday, September 04, 2011

One Last Chance to See the Sights







It took until my last day of work at the bank on Friday to get all the numbers "spot on" as they say here. After we spent a little time to "tidy" things up, I returned from the operations center back to the main bank office to say so long to everyone...I then went out to dinner for what seemed like the first time! I went to a steak place called "RARE". When you order a filet here, you need to know how many grams you'd like it to be. I had a choice of 300 grams or 450 grams. I actually had no presence of mind to visualize what 450 grams looks like or how big that would really be but I just interpreted my choices to mean 8 ounces or 12 ounces (and was hoping it wasn't something like John Candy had to eat in the movie The Great Outdoors when it arrived).

So I am waiting for my dinner and wondering why it is taking long... and where my salad is? The menu said dinner comes with a side salad. I am waiting and waiting and then here comes my steak, potatoes, vegetables....and side dinner salad. Now I know it is a small thing but I thought all people like to have their dinner salad..... before dinner. It turns out in AUS if you want salad before dinner, you need to tell them you want your salad as an entree'!? I guess that means you get it on its' own plate before your actual dinner. I was informed by my waitress that salad before dinner is actually an american custom. In AUS, salad comes with your dinner. So now my dilema is, if I eat the salad first the steak will get cold. If I eat the steak first, my salad my wilt and get soggy.....seems I still have lots to learn.

I woke up Saturday morning wondering what to do besides starting to pack for the long haul home. The sun was shining, spring was in the air, people have been shedding their winter jackets for days now (although some still head up into the high country for snow skiing), people everywhere are preparing for Fathers Day Sunday Sept. 4th (a really big deal around here), and I..... just wanted to be outside. I got the idea to jump on a tram and go to the local zoo....because a) I found out that would be easy to do by tram and b) Simon and Garfunkel said "everything's always happening at the zoo".

After walking all around trying to figure out where to get a tram pass and the right tram line number to get on, I arrived at the Melbourne zoo. It was a beautiful day to be outside. I saw all the usual creatures, real live kangaroos, and koala bears too. I forgot that many young parents with children in strollers all flock to the zoo on such days so getting around myself was a bit hectic with strollers.... and skinny walkways.... everywhere. It was a nice pleasant time though.... and fun watching the elephants and giraff's feeding.

It was also fun to people watch and go about their everyday lives. I got to hear a mom yell and scream at her kids with the full accent and funny words....like "I am going to spank you flat as a lizard if you don't get over here"!?

After I had my fill... I headed on tram line #55 back to the city where I visited Swanston street (jambed packed with shoppers). On the way there, the tram operator announced the stop for the "hey" market. You know.... I have heard of a "straw" market....but never a "hey" market. Now I find myself wondering if there really is such a demand for "hey" or "straw"....and why do we need an entire market (or tram stop) for such? I will have to see what that's all about. In the shopping district, a silver painted guy caught my eye as he was playing the part of a "mime" riding the local trams....very entertaining.

I had walked my last step about 4PM and although it was just a 30 minute walk back to the hotel, I was walking all day....so I opted for a cab....I wasn't "going" very well....and was coming down with a sore throat / cold (probably caught from all the kids / germ bags at the zoo). I thought great, this will make the 24 hours of flying tomorrow a real joy!

With only hours left in Melbourne, I was determined to go out to dinner again....sore throat and all. This time to Donavans down in St. Kilda on the beach (recommened by my work friends). The first thing I did was get the whole dinner salad subject matter taken care of. Dinner was great but very expensive (in fact, everything here is very expensive). Only the cab fares seem reasonable. For the first time ever in my life, I had a steak that cost $80 AUD. That's about $88 USD. All I could think to myself is my Lord, how is this guy going to pay for his huge family of 8 people sitting right next to me? Are we going out to dinner or making a mortgage payment here......I think I am about ready to return home!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home